Immigration Law

Seamlessly Navigate the Complexities of US Immigration

Overcome the Bureaucracy with an Experienced Immigration Lawyer

Navigating the bureaucracy of the US immigration system is exceptionally frustrating, especially if you’ve been trying to do it on your own.

Also, time is of the essence in many cases – without a visa, you may miss out on opportunities to secure a job or see aging family members.

You shouldn’t have to fight your way through immigration red tape to get the green card or visa you need. The right legal representative can navigate the process far more effectively.

Don’t let immigration bureaucracy impede your plans for the future. Choose SKT to successfully navigate US immigration law so that you can travel, work, and live the life you want.

Why Professionals Choose SKT

Unmatched Experience

Litigators with a proven track record in high-stakes cases and highly-regulated industries

Boutique Accessibility

Candid, informed guidance is always available from SKT’s responsive and reliable counsel

Proactive Approach

Diligent and aggressive representation at every stage to secure the best possible outcome

Types of Immigration
Law & Litigation

Legal Permanent Residence
Citizenship Through Naturalization

Getting Started with SKT

Schedule a Consultation

Contact SKT for a free and confidential assessment of your legal needs

Secure Representation

Choose SKT to craft and present a favorable narrative on your behalf

Implement Strategy

Collaborate with SKT to make informed decisions and secure your future

SKT Case Studies

SKT Case Studies

Elderly Person

A Tale of Two Sentences

Doug* engaged SKT when he and his business partner, Fred*, were arrested for allegedly defrauding elderly of their retirement. The amount of the fraud was

Read More

Frequently Asked Immigration Law Questions

United States citizens and permanent residents (Green Card holders) can sponsor (or “petition” for) certain family members to become permanent residents.

Family members who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders) can obtain Green Cards for other family members, which may ultimately lead to U.S. citizenship.

One may qualify for a Green Card if he/she is an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen, a preference relative of a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, or an accompanying relative of someone in a preference category (such as a minor child or a spouse).

If someone is an immediate relative, which means a spouse, a child under 21, or parents (if the citizen child is over 21) they are immediately eligible to petition for a Green Card.

Our immigration attorneys have the expertise to simplify the confusing application process and help clients navigate the complexities of family-based immigration.

With family-based Green Cards, the educational background is irrelevant. The only criterion is the family relationship.

The primary applicant can not only obtain a Green Card for themselves, but also for his/her spouse and children under 21 years old.

After five years of having a Green Card (three years in the case of a marriage-based Green Card), the Green Card holder can apply to become a U.S. citizen.

Eligibility to apply for a Green Card requires an individual to fall under one of these categories:

  • Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen
  • Other relative of a U.S. citizen or relative of a lawful permanent resident under the family-based preference categories
  • Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or the fiancé(e)’s child (K-1 & K-2)
  • Widow(er) of a U.S. citizen
  • VAWA self-petitioner-victim of battery or extreme cruelty

United States citizens can petition for a spouse or a fiancé(e) living abroad to come to the United States for marriage.

The fiancé(e) beneficiary K-1 Visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen.

This Visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the U.S. and marry his/her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival. The foreign citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident with the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

The fiancé(e) derivative K-2 Visa is if a child of the fiancé(e) wishes to accompany the fiancé(e) to the U.S., he/she needs to attend the same Visa interview as the fiancé(e) and apply for a K-2 Visa.

He/she must follow all of the same procedures as the application for a K-1 Visa, including paying a Visa application processing fee, preparing for all required documents, and attending a Visa interview.

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) enables foreign victims of family abuse or crime in the United States to acquire or maintain their immigrant status.

Spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders can petition for themselves without the abuser.

U visas are set aside for nonimmigrant victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity.

The EB-1(A) Visa is an employment-based Visa for permanent residency. It is intended for “priority workers” (foreign nationals who have “extraordinary abilities”) and also includes some executives and managers of foreign companies who are transferred to the U.S.

The EB-1(B) Visa is an employment-based immigrant visa category for outstanding professors and researchers.

The EB-1C Visa was created specifically for managers and executives who meet L-1A nonimmigrant standards and are interested in becoming lawful permanent residents.

L-1 Visas enable U.S. employers to temporarily transfer experienced workers from an affiliated foreign office to an office within the United States.

E-1 / E-2 Visas are for citizens of countries with which the U.S. maintains treaties of commerce and navigation.

H-1B Visas enable U.S. employers to temporarily hire foreign professionals for specialty occupations in the U.S.

H-1B1 Treaty-based Temporary Work Visas permit qualified Chilean and Singaporean citizens to temporarily work in the United States in certain circumstances.

The O-1 Visa is a non-immigrant, employment-based classification for foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the field of arts, science, education, business, or athletics; and there is no annual cap on this type of Visa. O-1 Visas are divided into O-1A for the sciences, athletics, and businesses; and O-1B for artists.

The P-1 Visa is available to athletes, and internationally recognized artists and entertainment groups, for entering the U.S. to participate in internationally recognized events for a U.S. employer.

What is often referred to as a “Visitor’s Visa” is actually a B-1/B-2 visa. This is for people traveling to the U.S. temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2).

Typically, B-1 Visas are for travelers consulting with business associates, attending scientific, educational, professional or business events, or negotiating contracts. The B-2 is for personal travel, visiting Disneyland or perhaps friends and relatives, or for medical treatment.

Any B1/B2 Visa includes an interview at the consular office. During that interview, the petitioner will have to demonstrate that the trip is temporary and there is no intent to stay in the U.S.

You must show that you have ties to your home country, the intent to return home, and that you have the money to cover your expenses in the United States.

If you are a United States legal permanent resident (“LPR” or “Green Card holder”), you may be eligible to become a United States citizen through naturalization.

US citizenship opens the door to substantial benefits, including the right to vote, eligibility for federal benefits or jobs, and unlimited length of international travel.

Obtaining all the perks that come with becoming a naturalized US citizen can be difficult. In fact, naturalization has often been described as being a lengthy and confusing process.

The experienced attorneys at SKT have navigated these obstacles many times before and are ready to be your guide and partner through the entire process.

Speak With
The SKT Team