Karl Truong is a partner of SKT Law, P.C. and oversees the firm’s International Practice Group. He focuses on international business transactions, regulatory compliance, intellectual property (IP) and immigration.
Karl is highly regarded for his proficiency on guiding businesses/Foreign Direct Investments (FDI) into Vietnam, as well as helping large international corporations and SME’s (small and medium-sized enterprises) navigate the legal landscape into U.S. markets. His robust involvement with domestic and foreign government officials and regulatory bodies dates back to his time in Washington, D.C. Karl routinely acts for clients doing business internationally, assisting them with corporate expansions and acquisitions, regulatory compliance, and copyright & trademark defense. Furthermore, he assists his clients with their immigration needs, whether it be L1 or EB-1 Visas for corporate clientele or EB-5 Visas for individual investors and their families. Under Karl’s leadership, SKT has become universally regarded as the premier firm for EB-5 investors in Vietnam. Karl regularly rotates and travels throughout SKT’s Asian offices.
Karl’s extensive experience in the international practice of law includes serving as in-house counsel for an international media corporation where he responded to regulatory and legal issues. Subsequently, he was invited to Capitol Hill to work for a Member of Congress in the House of Representatives with the responsibility for Commerce, International Relations, Immigration, and Science & Technology issues. Given his command of regulatory compliance issues, Karl was subsequently offered a Presidential Appointment within the Office of the General Counsel for Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within the Obama Administration. Prior to entering the private practice of law, Karl was with the Inter-American Development Bank (“IDB”) in Washington, D.C. where he navigated complex transnational contractual issues, liaised with foreign government officials, and provided legal and technical analysis on bank and government projects.
Mr. Truong received his J.D. from Chapman University, Fowler School of Law, and his Bachelor of Science in Computer Science from the University of California of Riverside.
- Represented an international media corporation accused of copyright infringement. Resulted in a favorable settlement for less than 5% of damages demanded.
- Facilitated the entry of large Asian corporations into the U.S. market through business entity formation, the acquisition of necessary licensing, and adherence to regulatory commercial law.
- Negotiated and secured large real estate leases and acquisitions for foreign manufacturers into Asia.
- Obtained industrial certification and licensing for foreign corporations operating in Asia.
- Advised and liaised with government officials in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Colombia, Panama, and Mexico for transnational energy, transportation, and social projects.
- Negotiated and prepared licensing agreements worldwide for international entertainment corporation.
- Guided Vietnamese and Chinese EB-5 investors through each step of the EB-5 Visa
- The Future of the Legal Profession featuring Keynote Speaker Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito.
- “The Global and Multi-jurisdictional Practice of Law”