Eligibility to apply for a Green Card requires an individual to fall under one of these categories:

  • Immediate relative of a U.S. citizen.
  • Other relative of a U.S. citizen or relative of a lawful permanent resident under the family-based preferenced categories.
  • Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen or the fiancé(e)’s child (K-1 & K-2).
  • Widow(er) of a U.S. citizen.
  • VAWA self-petitioner-victim of battery or extreme cruelty

The fiancé(e) beneficiary K-1 Visa is for the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen.  This Visa permits the foreign-citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the U.S. and marry his/her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days of arrival.  The foreign citizen will then apply for adjustment of status to a lawful permanent resident with the Department of Homeland Security’s U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.  Because a fiancé(e) Visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry a U.S. citizen shortly after arrival in the U.S., the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an Immigrant Visa.The fiancé(e) derivative K-2 Visa is if a child of the fiancé(e) wishes to accompany the fiancé(e) to the U.S., he/she needs to attend the same Visa interview as the fiancé(e) and apply for a K-2 Visa.  He/she must follow all of the same procedures as the application for a K-1 Visa, including paying a Visa application processing fee, preparing for all required documents, and attending a Visa interview.  The derivative child may be issued a K-2 Visa within 1 year from the date of issuance of the K-1 Visa to the parent.