We successfully unite families by expertly navigating the U.S. immigration system.

Bringing Families Together

United States citizens and permanent residents (Green Card holders) may sponsor (or “petition” for) certain family members to become permanent residents. Our immigration attorneys have the expertise to simplify the confusing application process and help navigate clients through the complexities of family-based immigration.

Family members who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents (Green Card holders) can obtain Green Cards for other family members, which may ultimately lead to U.S. citizenship. One may qualify for a Green Card if he/she is an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen, a preference relative of a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, or an accompanying relative of someone in a preference category (such as a minor child or a spouse).

If someone is an immediate relative, which means a spouse, a child under 21 or parents (if the citizen child is over 21) they are immediately eligible to petition for a Green Card.  There are no quotas on immediate relatives and the process is relative quick. If someone is not an immediate relative, he/she is what is referred to as a “Preference Relative.”   These relatives can also ultimately obtain a Green Card, however, depending on how close a relative he/she is, and the country they are from, they may have to wait in line for years, or in some cases decades before they can obtain their Green Card.

Advantages of Family-based Green Cards

With family-based Green Cards, the educational background is irrelevant.  The only criterion is the family relationship.  The primary applicant can not only obtain a Green Card for themselves, but for his/her spouse and children under 21 years old. After five years of having a Green Card (three years in the case of a marriage-based Green Card), the Green Card holder can apply to become a U.S. citizen.

Marriage-based Green Cards

United States citizens can petition for a fiancé(e) living abroad to come to the United States for marriage.

Violence Against Women Act and U Visas

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) enables foreign victims of family abuse or crime in the United States to acquire or maintain their immigrant status. Spouses, children, and parents of U.S. citizens or Green Card holders can petition for themselves, without the abuser.