What is often referred to as a “Visitor’s Visa” is actually a B-1/B-2 visa.  This is for people traveling to the U.S. temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2).  

Typically, a B-1 Visa is for travelers consulting with business associates, attending scientific, educational, professional or business conventions/conferences, or negotiating contracts.  The B-2 is your typical tourist, visiting Disneyland or perhaps friends and relatives, or it could be for medical treatment.

For any B1/B2 Visa, there will be an interview at the consular office.  During that interview the petitioner will have to demonstrate that the trip to the U.S. is temporary and there is no intent on staying in the U.S. You must show that you have ties to your home country, the intent to return home, and that you have the money to cover your expenses in the United States.