Maren Hufton is Special Counsel. She is an experienced litigator and corporate attorney with a focus on internal and government investigations – principally SEC issues regarding trading, disclosures, and promotion. Ms. Hufton also works on fraud investigations and defense, as well as Labor & Employment issues. Additionally, she has litigated numerous disputes in Federal and State courts, including securities class action, qui tam, and False Claims Act matters.
Maren has handled matters before a host of agencies and regulators, including both the civil and criminal divisions of the DOJ, SEC, FINRA, FDA, FCC, FDA, and EEOC, as well as the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce, state agencies like the California Department of Corporations and DFEH, and state and local law enforcement authorities in California, New York, Florida, to name a few.
Ms. Hufton’s deep knowledge of federal law and government processes, and thorough, yet cost-effective approach to factfinding, make her an exceptional investigator. Maren identifies evidence and concerns quickly, assesses risk, and offers practical solutions to mitigate liability. Maren also works with stakeholders to minimize the likelihood of enforcement activity through process-driven and repeatable compliance solutions.
- Representation of a physician group responding to a DOJ Subpoena concerning alleged violations of the False Claims Act and FDA regulations after personnel submitted to FBI interviews.
- Obtaining an award of damages, interest, costs and fees on behalf of an international multi-million dollar corporation in arbitration against the foreign parent of a former distributor.
- Represented corporate and individual claimants in connection with D&O insurance policy claims.
- Represented municipality in connection with CGL, Crime and Property policy claims.
- Conducted privileged internal investigation regarding allegations regarding failure data reporting.
- Conducted assessment of a medical device company’s compliance policies and provided recommendations and counseling to improve the compliance program and including Anti-Corruption Policy.
- Represented an audit committee of a medical device company in connection with a confidential investigation relating to marketing and promotions.
- Represented officers of publicly traded spine implant company in connection with fiduciary duty claims by a bankruptcy trustee.
- Represented two publicly traded pharmaceutical companies in connection with stock manipulation.
- Represented a publicly traded pharmaceutical company and CEO in defense of enforcement investigation by the SEC concerning stock price and insider trading allegations.
- Represented the audit committee of a public pharmaceutical company in connection with a confidential investigation relating to corporate governance.
- Represented private equity firm in defense of presence exam and enforcement investigation by the SEC concerning portfolio company valuation methodology.
- Defended a public accountant in an enforcement investigation by the SEC amidst allegations that said accountant failed to disclose a transfer of material assets in its filings and offering documents.
- Represented city entity in defense of SEC investigation concerning municipal bond disclosures.
- Represented city entity in connection with large scale fraud and embezzlement scheme.
- Represented a contractor in connection with contract and fraud disputes with City.
- Represented location-based services provider in connection with data breach and consumer privacy protection investigations by both the FTC and the U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Energy and Commerce.
- Represented former CEO of a digital technology company in connection with SEC investigation regarding capital raise operations.
- Provided counseling to a private technology company on employment-related compliance issues and assisted with the institution of a comprehensive Anti-Corruption Policy.
- Represented CEO of public wind and solar company in investigation by the SEC concerning allegations of illegal stock promotion and the unregistered sale of securities.
- Represented the former CEO of a technology manufacturer in connection with an insider trading investigation by the SEC.
- Defended a large technology corporation in a breach of contract action.
- Represented telecommunications company investigated for financial fraud by the SEC, the DOJ, and the FCC, and litigated accompanying qui tam and employment cases.
J.D. University of Michigan Law School
B.A. University of California, Davis.